Researchers at the University of Jaen found that olive oil makes the immune system stronger and prepares its defense system to fight against bacterial infection. The researchers even concluded that it was a better remedy against infection than using fish oil. It was further found olive could prove effective against infections caused by bacteria like E.coli or Salmonella. The findings of the research were reported in the ABC News.
Olive leaf extract has also been found to be very effective against wounds and infections. People reports to have used Olive leaf extract for several bacterial diseases and malaria, dengue and even worms. Some people find it very useful to treat the symptoms of sickness.
PubMed published research finding in which they said that Olive oil was capable of modulating several immune infections. The researchers also found that it helped to reduce the inflammatory activity in those patients who were suffering from autoimmune disorders. The review also concludes that olive oil has healthy beneficial effects against infectious agents.
Olive Oil against Bacterial Infection
Professor Gerardo Alvarez de Cienguegos of the Discover Foundation explains that olive oil is good for cardiovascular diseases and it enhances the general immunity of the system to fight against bacterial infections. In a study led by Professor Gerardo, it was found that mice that were given extra virgin olive oil and their immunity weakened, showed better results of survival against bacterial infections. They also compared their results with those obtained from mice which were fed fish oil. Extra virgin olive oil was found to be far more effective than fish oil. The Professor concluded that their research could help to place olive oil as a strong competitor against fish oil in the international market.
Olive Oil against Ear infection
It has been used to fight ear infections since ancient times and even doctors today recommend using a few drops of olive oil to remove or soften the wax. During my visit to an ENT specialist, he advised me to use a few drops of olive oil each month in my ear to keep it clean and protected. However, it must be noted that if the ear drum is perforated, no liquid including olive oil should be used except on the recommendation of the doctor. Olive oil can work as a natural analgesic and protect the ear wall against bacterial attack. It also moisturizes the skin and softens the earwax. It can be either used on its own or infused with garlic. Once infused with garlic it becomes a powerful natural antibiotic.
Here is how to use olive oil and garlic against ear infection and earache
- Take a tablespoon of extra virgin or organic olive oil
- Crush one fresh clove of garlic
- Mix the two
- Warm the solution so the garlic mixes with the oil
- Strain the oil to leave any garlic residue behind.
- Put 3 drops of the mixture in the affected ear twice a day.
- Keep a clean cotton ball in the ear
- Continue for a few days.
Olive Oil and Skin Infection
When olive oil is mixed with honey or beeswax, it becomes of the most effective mixture against skin infections caused by bacteria, fungi and yeast. Here is how to prepare and use the mixture.
- Take one tablespoon of raw or organic honey
- Mix it with two tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Add some beeswax
- Apply the solution to the affected area twice a day
- Continue for a week or longer depending upon the results.
- Alternatively use the above garlic and olive oil mixture on the affected areas.
Olive and Yeast infection
It can be used both orally or applied to the affected areas to cure yeast infection. The best is to use it both ways.
- Take a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Crush one fresh clove of garlic and put in the oil
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture
- Apply the cotton ball to the affected area
- Put half tablespoon of olive oil in a glass of water
- Mix some grapefruit juice
- Drink the mixture twice a day