Headache is a very common but discomforting and painful ailment. There are more than a hundred causes of headaches and migraines.
The most common causes of headache are stress, anxiety, depression; lack of sleep, tension, allergy to certain foods, lack of exercise and so on.
When the soft tissues covering the skull tighten due to stress and hormonal changes, it may trigger headache. Headache negatively effects productivity and the quality of life.
Medical experts believe that it is not a disease but symptoms of some underlying cause.
In many cases, traditional medical prescriptive medicines are not successful other than temporary relief like pain killers or anti-depressants.
There are, however, several home and natural remedies with anecdotal evidence which work best in the treatment of the symptoms of headaches and migraines. Treating it with honey is just one of them.
Honey is rich in many minerals. Among other minerals it contains potassium and magnesium.
These minerals help to relax arteries by allowing more blood flow to the brain. This relaxes the blood vessels from swelling and pressure and may help in preventing migraines and other headaches. Taking honey regularly may also boost your memory.
Seymour Diamond and Donald J. Dalessio in their book titled “the Practicing Physician’s Approach to Headache” record that 30 gm of fructose, when taken in the form of honey, can speed metabolism and reduce the frequency and intensity of headache.
You can simply take two tablespoons of honey before each meal to derive the benefits. Another simple way is to mix two tablespoons of honey with two tablespoons of cider vinegar and inhale the steam.
Cinnamon is a very well known herb for its medicinal qualities. It is widely used in India and other Asian countries for medicinal purposes to cure many ailments. When cinnamon is mixed with honey, it has a ton of health benefits.
Among many other benefits of honey and cinnamon, it is very effective in treating the symptoms of headache and migraine. Honey and cinnamon are easy to get and and usually readily found in most kitchens.
I suffered headache and migraine for more than 25 years. All these years, I have been to several doctors even to private doctors abroad to find a possible effective cure. I have been given anti-depressants and stress related drugs along with several pain killers.
Doctors even prescribed me medicines causing drowsiness and sleep. But none of them helped. The last time I saw my doctor in relation to my headache and migraine was around 2 years before. That was a strange meeting as the doctor’s consultation was bizarre. When I answered his question that I had been suffering for more than 25 years, he remarked:
“There is nothing wrong in your head, had there been any serious problem you would not have survived all these years. You would have been dead long before! Just carry on.”
I never said I had any serious thing in my head; I just consulted him in the hope that he could find me a remedy for the long suffering. Since that day on, I never spoke to any doctor about headaches.
I suffered and continued to take pain killers over the counter until I found the miracles of raw honey and cinnamon. This remedy not only helped me in controlling my headache and severe migraine, it also proved to be amazingly helpful in my other health conditions.
How to Take Honey and Cinnamon for Headaches and Migraines?
- Heat half a cup of milk.
- Add two teaspoons of cinnamon powder.
- Bring it the boiling point.
- Pour it in a cup.
- Add two tablespoon of raw, organic or manuka honey.
- Stir to dissolve honey.
- Once cool enough sip it slowly.
- Take rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Enjoy the rest of the day or night depending on your time.
Honey and Apple Juice for Headache
- Take one tablespoon of honey.
- Mix it in half a cup of apple juice.
- Mix one tablespoon of cider vinegar.
- Drink the mixture preferably on empty stomach.
Honey and Warm Water Method
- Make the water warm and pour it in a glass.
- Mix in the warm one tablespoon of honey.
- Dissolve the honey in water.
- As you soon as you feel the symptom drink the solution.
- Repeat after 20 minutes.
My favorite: Honey, Ginger and Lemon Tea
My first experiment to cure headache through honey was mixing it with cinnamon and milk. I have already described the step by step method of how to make the mixture above. My favorite drink, however, is the tea made of honey, ginger and lemon.
This is absolutely fantastic. It is sweet, aromatic, soothing and digesting. It is a great way to treat the symptoms of headache and relieve your stomach ailments and boost your energy. I hardly go to bed without drinking the HGL T. Here is how to make it.
- Cut some fresh ginger into small pieces. Alternatively, you can grate it. If you go for grating, use a smaller amount.
- Put the kettle on and boil the water.
- Put the sliced or grated ginger in a cup and pour the hot water over it.
- Add one tablespoon of raw honey.
- Cut a fresh lemon into half and squeeze it into the cup.
- Drink it when it is warm. Avoid drinking too hot.
I, sometimes, replace lemon with peppermint just for a change in taste. Both work fine.
Jenni Fleetwood’s Honey Cure of Migraine and Headaches
- 2 teaspoon of dried Melissa
- 2 teaspoon of dried peppermint
- 2 teaspoon of dried yarrow
- 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile
- 2 teaspoon of honey
- 2 cups of green tea
How to prepare?
- Mix all the above herbs and the honey into green tea.
- Leave to soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink by a small cup every two hours.