The fleshy hanging skin tags on the body do not pose any harm, yet most people do not feel comfortable with them and would like to remove them. The mental and psychological discomfort is at worse when the bumpy tags hang on visible areas such as face, eye lids, tongue etc.
A little bit of research on the internet shows that some people are extremely embarrassed in front of their partners if they have the fleshy thing hanging around their anus, vigina, penis or somewhere near the private parts.
The embarrassment does not end there. For some people, it is even a bigger embarrassment to go to the doctor and get them removed especially if they are popping up somewhere around the private parts.
There is nothing to worry about and your embarrassment may come to an end. There are several home remedies available which are natural, safer and easy to do. The only downside of these remedies is that some people find them a little painful or discomforting. Everybody may not be able to execute them the right way. Also, if you have a medical condition, then the right way to approach is to speak to your doctor first.
Clip them off
Cutting the skin tags using scissors or nail clippers is the quickest way to remove the tags at home. However, you may feel the pain or discomfort for sometime. To reduce the pain, it is recommended to numb the area with ice before doing the procedure. After you have cut it off, you may also consider taking some pain killers like paracetamol or Ibuprofen etc.
- Wash the skin tag and surrounding area.
- Place some ice over the tag for at least 10 minutes to numb it.
- Dry the tag and the surrounding skin using a clean cotton ball.
- Using a sterilized or sanitized scissors or nail clipper just cut it at the point where it hangs form the skin.
- Place clean cotton over the wound and cover it with a plaster. Change the bandage regularly and keep the wound clean to avoid any infections.
Just in case, you find the wound is not healing or there is a chance of infection, you may use manuka honey to kill the infection and expedite the wound healing.
Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV has many health benefits. It can be used both internally and externally. For best results, it is recommended to use raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized and organic apple cider vinegar with mother in it.
- Take a small piece of cotton ball and dip it in the ACV
- Place the cotton over the tag and secure it with a bandage or plaster.
- Change the vinegar soaked cotton twice a day.
You can buy Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar here.
Tree Tea Oil
Tree tea oil is one of the best oils for eliminating external skin disorders. It is anti-bacterial and keeps the skin clean and hygienic. It also works great for treating skin tags.
- Dip a Q-tip in tea tree oil and let it get soaked.
- Place the Q-tip on the skin tag and keep it pressed for a few seconds.
- Take the cotton of the Q-tip off and place it on the tag.
- Secure the cotton with tape or plaster.
- Repeat twice a day.
Ginger is the antidote for several ailments. It is very useful for the stomach. It relives gas and helps in digestion. Apart from digestive benefits it also helps to eliminate skin tags.
- Make a ginger paste from fresh ginger root.
- Apply the paste to the tag.
- Secure it with anything like a plaster etc.
- Repeat twice a day.
The Powerful Garlic
Garlic is another herb which has been used for many centuries as a natural treatment fro several conditions. It lowers cholesterol and high blood pressure. It is good for keeping the heart healthy. It is a very effective anti-biotic.
- Make a paste of fresh garlic.
- Apply the paste to the tag
- Secure it with bandage, tape or plaster.
- Repeat twice a day.
Please note that pure garlic may irritate the skin and even cause blisters if used continuously. To avoid this mix the garlic paste with some organic honey and extra virgin olive oil.
Castor Oil and Baking Soda Paste
This remedy takes a bit longer than others to work. However, people who have tried this confirm that it is the least painful. Castor oil is available here.
- Take a teaspoon of pure castor oil
- Mix enough baking soda to form a paste
- Apply the paste to the tag three times a day
- It may take around 3 to 4 weeks for the tag to come off.
Some users swear by just applying nail polish to skin tags. They say that applying nail polish twice a day is the quickest method. Nail polish contains nitro cellulose, plasticizers and coloring agents. Some of the chemicals in nail polish may be even poisonous. We do not recommend using nail polish for the removal of skin tags.
Tying it with Thread
This is one of the oldest, safest and most effective remedy if used properly. It is also called the dental floss method. Simply tie a thread, dental floss string or a hair around the skin tag tightly. This will sever the flow of blood and nutrients to the tag. Within a few days it will dry up and fall off. Some people report this method a bit painful because of swelling and inflammation. The success rate is roughly 80 to 90 percent.